2 killed in shooting at high school hockey game in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, police say

Investigators reviewing retail sales records for clues in Nancy Guthrie case

CBS News

Advertisement

Investigators chase critical leads as Nancy Guthrie search enters third week

Tom Homan says "I don't like the masks" on ICE agents, but they "have to protect themselves"

2 killed in shooting at high school hockey game in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, police say

Investigators reviewing retail sales records for clues in Nancy Guthrie case Advertisement Inv...
From antitrust fight to victory lane: Michael Jordan's 23XI grabs a Daytona 500 win

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Michael Jordaninherited the racing bugfrom his late father, who routinely packed everyone into the car and drove from North Carolina to a handful of tracks every year as attendingNASCARraces became Jordan family vacations.

Associated Press 23XI Racing owner Michael Jordan speaks with CEO and Chairman of NASCAR, Jim Frantz after Tyler Reddick won the NASCAR Daytona 500 auto race at Daytona International Speedway, Sunday, Feb. 15, 2026, in Daytona Beach, Fla. (AP Photo/Nigel Cook) Tyler Reddick celebrates with the team his win of the NASCAR Daytona 500 auto race at Daytona International Speedway, Sunday, Feb. 15, 2026, in Daytona Beach, Fla. (AP Photo/Nigel Cook) Tyler Reddick celebrates with the team his win of the NASCAR Daytona 500 auto race at Daytona International Speedway, Sunday, Feb. 15, 2026, in Daytona Beach, Fla. (AP Photo/Nigel Cook)

NASCAR Daytona 500 Auto Racing

Decades later, Jordan is now aDaytona 500winner.

He was an ecstatic team owner during the victory celebration, which he joined seconds before winnerTyler Reddickwas presented the trophy.

Reddick paused the party and was enveloped in Jordan's arms before the Basketball Hall of Famer gave high-fives to the No. 45 crew from 23XI Racing. A stream of well-wishers soon followed, including NASCAR chairman Jim France, who warmly congratulated Jordan with a smile and a handshake.

It was at least the second cordial public interaction the two have shared since December, when France and NASCARsettled the federal antitrust lawsuitthat 23XI and Front Row Motorsports had lodged. The lawsuit consumed the sport for more than two years and ended on the ninth day of trial, when NASCAR relented and settled before the top motorsports series in the United States suffered any more humiliation.

The settlement was a huge win for Jordan, who forever will be viewed as the team owner bold enough to stand up to NASCAR's dictatorship way of ruling the series. But that was already behind Jordan by the time he got to Daytona International Speedway, where he started Sunday by insisting the goal was to help grow NASCAR moving forward and focus on making 23XI a championship-contending race team.

"Both sides have been somewhat at a stalemate and we both needed to have conversations about change, how we can grow this sport," Jordan told Fox Sports before the green flag. "Unfortunately, we had to go through what we had to go through. But I think coming out of that, you have a much better appreciation for each other and I think it opens up conversations amongst each other to continue to grow the game."

Hours later, he was in victory lane celebrating as if he'd just won a seventh NBA championship. When France stopped by, it was clear all parties are moving forward.

Advertisement

Denny Hamlin, the three-time Daytona 500 winner who is partners with Jordan at 23XI, was the winning team owner representative in post-victory requirements and said there are no lingering bad feelings among the parties.

"I think December was a wake-up call. I think that the conversations since then have been a lot of self-reflection, in my opinion, from NASCAR. I think they would have done things differently had they had the opportunity to," Hamlin said. "But we knew that we needed to stick up for what we believed was right. We have to now figure out how we can get the sport back where it was decades ago.

"In order to do that, the only way we can do it is we're all going to have to pull the rope in the same direction. Even conversations that I've had with NASCAR executives as late as a couple days ago, sitting in a bus talking about what do we need to be five years from now, two years from now, 10 years from now. What does the sport need to look like?

"Those were all really good conversations, and they were very open to suggestions."

Jordan didn't become a NASCAR participant until 2021, when he partnered with Hamlin, a three-time Daytona 500 winner, to form 23XI. He attends races — sometimes he watches from pit road, other times a suite — and although others run the team, Jordan is involved and sounds committed to NASCAR.

The Reddick win was a win for NASCAR, Hamlin argued, because it got Jordan into the headlines.

"It's big for the sport. He's the most popular athlete in the world. I don't think there's any disputing that," Hamlin said. "He loves the sport, and certainly he goes to a lot of races. Sometimes you don't even see him and he's there. He makes more races than people know. He loves this race team."

AP auto racing:https://apnews.com/hub/auto-racing

From antitrust fight to victory lane: Michael Jordan’s 23XI grabs a Daytona 500 win

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Michael Jordaninherited the racing bugfrom his late father, who routinely packed everyone int...
Michigan rises to No. 1 in AP Top 25 men's hoops poll for 1st time since January 2013

Michigan is No. 1 inThe Associated Press men's college basketball pollfor the first time in 13 years, ending Arizona's nine-week reign.

Associated Press Michigan players, from left, Malick Kordel, Aday Mara, Morez Johnson Jr. and Elliot Cadeau celebrate on the bench late in the second half of a win over UCLA in an NCAA college basketball game in Ann Arbor, Mich., Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Lon Horwedel) Texas Tech guard Jaylen Petty gets pressured by Arizona forward Tobe Awaka (30) and guard Anthony Dell'orso during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026, in Tucson, Ariz. (AP Photo/Rick Scuteri)

UCLA Michigan Basketball

The Wolverines (24-1) claimed 60 of 61 first-place votes in Monday's poll to climb one spot and supplant the Wildcats, who were unbeaten entering last week before fallingat Kansasand at hometo Texas Tech.

"Not much," coach Dusty May said when asked by the APafter Saturday's rout of UCLAabout the significance of potentially topping the poll. "It means we haven't drank our own Kool-Aid. We've put ourselves in a position to be playing the types of games in mid-February that we want to be in, but we've got to continue to improve."

Michigan had been ranked No. 2 behind Arizona for six of Arizona's nine weeks at the top but was No. 1 in analytics rankings by KenPom, Evan Miyakawa and Bart Torvik last week.

Now the Wolverines have their first AP No. 1 ranking since January 2013.

Houston and Duke each moved up one spot to sit behind Michigan, with the second-ranked Cougars claiming the remaining first-place vote. The Wolverines and Blue Devils are set to meet this weekend in a marquee nonconference matchup in the nation's capital.

Arizona dropped three spots to No. 4. UConn was next at No. 5, followed by Iowa State, Purdue, Kansas, Nebraska and Illinois to round out the top 10.

Rising

The seventh-ranked Boilermakers jumped six spots for the week's biggest leap, coming afteran overtime win at Nebraskaand a winat Iowa. The preseason No. 1 has won four straight entering Tuesday's visit from Michigan.

No. 13 Texas Tech rose three spots after its home winagainst Coloradofollowed by the OT win at Arizona. As did No. 21 Louisville, withfreshman Mikel Brownstarring with anAtlantic Coast Conference freshman-record 45 pointsin a win against N.C. State and 29 more in a winagainst Baylor.

In all, 13 teams moved up from last week.

Sliding

No. 15 Michigan State and No. 16 North Carolina had the week's biggest tumbles of five spots. The Spartans lost at Wisconsin on Friday, while the Tar Heelslost at Miamiwhile also learning thatstar freshman Caleb Wilson is out indefinitelywith a fractured bone in his left hand.

Advertisement

Seven ranked teams fell from last week's position.

Quick turnaround for Badgers

Wisconsin returned to the poll, going from receiving no votes last week to No. 24 after back-to-back wins against top-10 opponentsIllinoisandMichigan Statelast week.

Wisconsin previously had fallen out of the poll after a Nov. 21 loss to BYU as the Badgers struggled through a 7-4 start. Last week's wins, along with beingthe only team to take down Michigan, has the Badgers alongside the Red Raiders as the only teams with victories against three top-10 teams this year.

"Early in the year we were soft mentally and physically," coach Greg Gard said after the 92-71 win against the Spartans. "We had to mature, had to grow up collectively and individually. You're not going to be able to compete in these types of games in the upper echelon of this league if you're not physically and mentally tough. This group has responded."

Comings and goings

No. 25 Alabama joined Wisconsin as the week's new additions after the Crimson Tide pushed to a four-game winning streak.

They replaced Clemson (No. 20) and Kentucky (No. 25) in the poll.

Conference watch

The Big 12 and Big Ten dominated the top of the poll while tying with a national-best six ranked teams. Those two leagues combined to have eight spots in the top 10.

The ACC and Southeastern Conference were next with four ranked teams each. The Big East had two, while the West Coast Conference, Atlantic 10 and Mid-American Conference each had one.

AP Sports Writers Larry Lage in Michigan and Steve Megargee in Wisconsin contributed to this report.

Get poll alerts and updates on the AP Top 25 throughout the season. Sign uphereandhere(AP mobile app). AP college basketball:https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-college-basketball-pollandhttps://apnews.com/hub/college-basketball

Michigan rises to No. 1 in AP Top 25 men's hoops poll for 1st time since January 2013

Michigan is No. 1 inThe Associated Press men's college basketball pollfor the first time in 13 years, ending Arizona...
Anderson Cooper says he's exiting from '60 Minutes,' but staying with CNN

Anderson Cooper, who has reported for CBS' "60 Minutes" for the past two decades in addition to hosting a weeknight news program on CNN, said Monday that he's leaving the CBS broadcast to spend more time with his family.

His decision comes at a time of turmoil at "60 Minutes." Cooper appeared on the show Sunday night, introducing a brief piece on filmmaker Ken Burns. It's not likely to be his last time on the show; he's expected to finish the current broadcast season, which ends in May.

"Being a correspondent at '60 Minutes' has been one of the great honors of my career," Cooper said in a statement. "I got to tell amazing stories, and work with some of the best producers, editors and camera crew in the business. For nearly 20 years, I've been able to balance my jobs and CNN and CBS, but I have little kids now and I want to spend as much time with them as possible, while they still want to spend time with me."

Cooper's exit from what remains the most prestigious show in television news is sure to raise questions about whether it had anything to do with the leadership ofBari Weiss, editor-in-chief of CBS News since last fall. Cooper's spokesperson said Monday he had no additional comment.

He has contributed stories to "60 Minutes" since the 2006-2007 television season in a unique job-sharing arrangement with CNN. His prime-time cable news show, "Anderson Cooper 360," has aired since 2003.

In a statement, CBS News praised Cooper for his two decades of work.

"We're grateful to him for dedicating so much of his life to this broadcast, and understand the importance of spending more time with family," CBS said. "'60 Minutes' will be here if he ever wants to return."

His exit comes at a time of unease at the Sunday night newsmagazine known for its ticking stopwatch. At Weiss' direction, the show in Decemberheld off at the last minuteshowing a report from correspondent Sharyn Alfonsi about the Trump administration's immigration policy. She said a greater effort was needed to get an interview with administration officials, while Alfonsi complained privately that the decision was political in nature. The storyaired a month laterwith additional administration comments, but no on-camera interviews.

President Donald Trump sued "60 Minutes" for how it handled an interview with his 2024 election opponent, Kamala Harris. Much to the consternation of many at the broadcast, CBS's parent company Paramount Globalsettled with Trumpout-of-court.

Cooper's exit from CBS was first reported by the online news site Breaker.

David Bauder writes about the intersection of media and entertainment for the AP. Follow him athttp://x.com/dbauderandhttps://bsky.app/profile/dbauder.bsky.social.

Anderson Cooper says he's exiting from '60 Minutes,' but staying with CNN

Anderson Cooper, who has reported for CBS' "60 Minutes" for the past two decades in addition to hosting a ...
Guy Fieri reveals what fans shout out at him that 'catches everyone's attention'

Food Network

Entertainment Weekly Guy Fieri for the Food Network Food Network

Key Points

  • Guy Fieri says there's one catchphrase among "a million" he's inspired that he hears everywhere he goes.

  • "Through the 20 years of doing this, there's been a bunch. But the big thing that comes up now is 'The Mayor of Flavortown,'" Fieri tells EW. "That pretty much catches everybody's attention."

  • Fieri previously recalled the first time he uttered the phrase, when encountering a delicious pizza that prompted him to exclaim, "'Look at this thing! It's like the steering wheel on the bus going to Flavortown.'"

You know whatGuy Fierilooks like, but how does he sound?

Fans have a pretty solid idea. The celebrity chef, restauranteur, and Food Network staple tellsEntertainment Weeklythat of the hundreds upon hundreds of fan interactions he has every month, there's one catchphrase that follows him wherever he goes.

"Oh, I've got a million," Fieri says in a conversation to promote his recent collaboration with Bosch for the 2026 Super Bowl, which saw theDiners, Drive-Ins, and Diveshost trade in his iconic frosty tips and goatee fora clean shave and a combover.

"I've never said words or things to make them catchphrases. I just kind of talk nonsensical, you know?" Fieri offers up examples that he hears parroted back to him by his legion of fans: "'That's off the hook!' or 'That's money!' or 'I'd eat that off a flip flop.'" There's one phrase, more a moniker than anything, that Fieri says has come to dominate his public mentions.

Guy Fieri for 'Flavortown Food Fight' Food Network

Food Network

"Through the 20 years of doing this, there's been a bunch. But the big thing that comes up now is 'The Mayor of Flavortown.' Yeah. 'This is in Flavortown.' 'Let's go to Flavortown.' That pretty much catches everybody's attention," he says.

Fieri started out as a restaurant manager before opening his first restaurant chain, Johnny Garlic's, throughout California as the '90s turned to the aughts. He became well known in culinary circles for his New York City venture Guy's American Kitchen and Bar, which landed him on the second season ofThe Next Food Network Star, which he won.

He's been a Food Network mainstay ever since, hosting series likeDiners,Guy's Grocery Games, andTournament of Champions. The "Mayor of Flavortown" moniker that's now synonymous with Fieri has become so prevalent that the network even channeled it for Fieri's next big project, the forthcoming reality competition seriesFlavortown Food Fight.

Advertisement

Get your daily dose of entertainment news, celebrity updates, and what to watch with ourEW Dispatch newsletter.

Fieri reflected on the origins of the phrase in a 2025 appearance onThe Late Show with Stephen Colbert.

"'Flavortown' was this mythical place," Fieri said that he would go to "every time I'd try something really great." It first came about when he encountered a perfect pizza that prompted him to exclaim, "'Look at this thing! It's like the steering wheel on the bus going to Flavortown.'"

Fieri recalled that shortly after using the phrase onDiners, "People started walking up in airports, going, 'Hey! Flavortown!' And then, someone yelled at me, 'It's the Mayor of Flavortown!'"

Guy Fieri in Bosch's 2026 Super Bowl commercial Bosch

Guy tells EW that he relishes his harmonious relationship with his fans — so he's not about to stop all the talk about Flavortown. He's embraced the fact that he's become a kind of cultural icon. More than that: he's channeled it for good.

"There'sFieriConthat happens in New York. There'sFlavortown Basinthat happens at a big ski resort. A big group does a whole day of Guy where there's 800 people dressed in the flame shirts and the flare hair and the goatee and all that," he explains. "They actually raise money and donate their fundraising at their event to my foundation, the Guy Fieri Foundation."

Since 2011,The Guy Fieri Foundationhas organized programs to train aspiring chefs lacking the means to pursue formal education, supported first responders through disaster relief, and launched literacy campaigns in Fieri's native Sonoma County, Calif.

Read the original article onEntertainment Weekly

Guy Fieri reveals what fans shout out at him that 'catches everyone's attention'

Food Network Key Points Guy Fieri says there's one catchphrase among "a million" he's ins...

 

AB JRNL © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com