MESA, Ariz. — The Chicago Cubs want more.
Having finally made a long awaited return to the postseason and even earning a series victory in the wild-card round against the Padres last October, a lofty standard has been reestablished for one of baseball's most prominent franchises. On Monday, ahead of their first full-squad workout, the Cubs spoke of their hunger for an even deeper postseason run and how the core that has grown together over the past half-decade is eager for the opportunity ahead — with some new reinforcements along for the ride.
A year ago, Cubs camp opened just days after Alex Bregman chose the Boston Red Sox to conclude his first foray into free agency, a decision that was felt in Mesa, with Chicago having pursued Bregman to no avail. The Cubs made their own splash earlier that winter with the acquisition of Kyle Tucker, but Tucker arrived with just one year remaining on his contract, making his presence feel tenuous even then. A largely successful season for both player and team ensued, but the partnership did end up being temporary, as Tucker joined the Dodgers this winter.
[Get more Chicago news: Cubs team feed]
But in Bregman's second trip to the open market, after he opted out of his Red Sox deal,the Cubs got their man. A heavily deferred, five-year, $175 million deal brought Bregman into the fold as a pillar for the franchise — a sharp contrast to Tucker's arrival the year prior. Bregman joins a roster loaded with veterans who have already experienced a lot together and are looking to take the next step. And afterfielding questions about missing out on Bregmanon the first day of workouts last February, Cubs personnel on Monday got to talk about his value as a teammate.
"I think he fits our team really well," said outfielder Ian Happ, the longest-tenured Cub. "But I think the group as a whole, we know each other. We know what each other is working on and, you know, what the offseason goals were for everybody. So it's really fun when you get to put a group back together … that part of it is so exciting because you know what everybody's capable of, and the group collectively is just trying to raise the level."
Now a decade removed from the drought-breaking triumph in 2016, the Cubs' core — bolstered this winter by Bregman and hard-throwing right-hander Edward Cabrera in the rotation — is not shying away from expectations to deliver another special season.
"I think the expectations as a whole for the team are a deep playoff run. But that starts with your process every day," Happ said. "And you can talk about winning the World Series all you want, but the way you get there is by being really diligent to your process every day and focusing on little things one day at a time. Sounds cliche, but it's very true."
Process and patience are crucial principles, especially with months and months of baseball ahead. But Chicago's experience of finally returning to the October stage has only amplified the team's level of urgency and ambition in 2026. Left-hander Matthew Boyd is entering his second season with the Cubs, a refreshing bit of continuity after he bounced among three teams the previous three seasons. Boyd made his first All-Star team at age 34 last year, a remarkable, late-career breakout that instilled some much-needed dependability in Chicago's rotation. But for all the important innings Boyd threw in the regular season, taking the mound in October left a visceral impression on him that has carried into his preparation this spring.
"The playoffs are just — they're addictive, right? Like, you play it, and you go, 'Man, I want more of that,'" Boyd said. "And I've gotten to experience it three out of the last four years now, and it's something that you don't want to not do. So I think that collectively, we all have that. Collectively, we knew that, like, man, we were more than capable to win that first series and go on and play. And that we weren't afraid of anybody that was ahead of us.
"But we didn't get there. So I think that the hunger, the feeling of what we got, where we got — that was awesome, but we want more. And then you add the guys that we added in this clubhouse. It's exciting to know that we're all going to be collectively working toward that goal."
To be sure, last year's NLDS defeat against the rival Brewers provides more than enough motivation. But the Cubs' roster — and the contract status of several key players — adds another layer that could contribute to the level of urgency. Boyd, who has a $15 million mutual option for 2027, is one of several key Cubs who can become free agents after this season, along with Happ, starting pitchers Jameson Taillon and Shota Imanaga, outfielder Seiya Suzuki and second baseman Nico Hoerner. Depending on how the season unfolds, that could be a challenging dynamic to manage. But Hoerner — having been the subject of ample trade speculation this winter — spoke of the collective contractual circumstances as more of an opportunity than an obstacle.
"The cool part is that we all do share a pretty amazing opportunity for this season," he said. "I think that's going to be something here a lot of guys talk about. There's plenty of guys who are in their last year here, and that's also an opportunity, though — because we've been fortunate to play as a group for a while, and I think that just it creates excitement. You don't get to share a locker room with guys, a consistent core, a lot in the big leagues. And so to have that opportunity, to have gotten better and to now be in a place where we can really seize that opportunity is super exciting."
On Monday, manager Craig Counsell also spoke about the delicate balance between players arriving at such a critical junction in their careers and tackling the team task at hand.
"Every player's got a situation. And frankly, if you're at the point where you're in a free-agent year, you're doing pretty good — things have gone pretty well," he said.
Advertisement
"But I think it'sthis team, it'snow. It's about being present. And what you have the opportunity to accomplish with your friends, with your teammates, with guys that you've gone through some different times with — that's a real opportunity."
More news and notes from the Cubs' first full-squad workout
Matt Shaw, displaced from his native third base by Bregman's arrival, will be taking on more of a superutility role in his sophomore season, including spending some time in the outfield. That marks his first exposure to the outfield in pro ball, as he had exclusively played second, third and shortstop since joining the Cubs organization as a first-round pick in 2023. But Shaw did play some outfield as a freshman at the University of Maryland and during summer ball in college. He's also in a good position to relearn some of the intricacies of outfield play from stellar defenders such as Happ and Pete Crow-Armstrong.
"He's got some pretty good outfielders to defer to," Crow-Armstrong said. "I mean, it's a nice situation for him. It may not be the exact situation he thought he'd be in, but considering the circumstances, I think he's got a good group to lean on, and we're definitely gonna be there for him because it's not easy having to shift."
With Happ and Crow-Armstrong entrenched in left and center, respectively, right field is the natural spot for Shaw to see the most time. While Seiya Suzuki is expected to take on the bulk of right-field reps in the wake of Tucker's departure, he'll need some DH days, which could open at-bats for Shaw in the outfield when he isn't playing the infield.
Suzukiis preparing not just for increased outfield responsibility in Chicago but also for Samurai Japan as he gears up for the World Baseball Classic. Suzuki wanted to participate in the 2023 edition but was unable due to an oblique injury, making the upcoming tournament all the more exciting for the 31-year-old slugger. Shohei Ohtani's presence as the DH ensures that Suzuki will be in the outfield for Team Japan; exactly which outfield spot remains something of an open question because of the other options on the roster.
But we got a hint about where Suzuki might be deployed when his teammate and Team USA outfielder Crow-Armstrong was asked for his thoughts on the tournament and the prospect of playing against Team Japan.
"I'm excited to watch Seiya play center field," Crow-Armstrong said. "That'll be really fun. I think it's a good opportunity for him to show people that he's a really good defender. And I don't think he gets enough credit for his abilities out there. So that'll be fun."
When asked about his defense and the prospect of playing center in the WBC, Suzuki said through interpreter Edwin Stanberry, "I feel like I've been moving well. It's something I worked on in the offseason. And I think getting those reps in, I think that's going to be beneficial for me in the season, too. And if Pete wants an off-day or something, that's my chance to play center field."
It remains to be seen whether Suzuki will start in center for Japan — he has started one game there in the majors and only a handful during his NPB career — but it's not entirely implausible. Japan has one natural center fielder in Ukyo Shuto, but he's mostly on the roster for his speed, and his bat lags far behind the other available outfielders. So if Japan wants to put out its best lineup, manager Hirokazu Ibatamight indeed be best suitedputting Suzuki in center flanked by some combination of Masataka Yoshida, Kensuke Kondoh and Shota Morishita.
But no matter where he's playing, Suzuki is excited about the possibility of facing off against his teammate in the tourney.
"I want to see Pete throw his helmet," Suzuki said with a smirk. "And then if he hits the ball to center field, I want to make sure I catch it and dance on it."
— It's no secretCrow-Armstrongis seeking more consistency at the plate after last season's severely uneven campaign, which featured a terrific first half followed by a brutal run of poor production down the stretch. But the soon-to-be 24-year-old sees room for improvement beyond the batter's box, too, even if those elements of his game are already renowned as elite.
"The throwing decisions," Crow-Armstrong said when asked how he can upgrade as a defender, even while he already rates asone of the game's best. "I think that's been kind of the kicker my whole career so far. Just gave up some extra bases last year. Dropping the ego and not feeling like I'm gonna throw somebody out from 300 feet — because I'm not Jackie Bradley. I think there will be times when I can let one loose, and the situation will have to call for that. But there's little moments from last year that I can kind of pick out … decision-making wise. I think it probably wasn't my strongest suit."
Crow-Armstrong was also one of themost impactful baserunnersin MLB last season, but he identified at least one area for growth on the basepaths as well.
"I feel like I could probably steal third base more," said Crow-Armstrong, whostole second base 31 timesin 2025, tied for ninth in MLB, but stole third on only four occasions, which ranked 24th. "It's kind of like the throws, picking your times … forcing things is never really going to work in your favor. … But it's playing the game, picking your spots, just being a little more patient. I think I can probably apply that to a lot of my game right now."