Shia LaBeouf used homophobic slurs while assaulting New Orleans bar patrons, police say

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Actor Shia LaBeouf faces battery charges and is accused of repeatedly using homophobic slurs whilehitting multiple peopleat a New Orleans bar duringMardi Gras, according to a police report.

Associated Press Shia LaBeouf poses for photographers upon arrival at the premiere of the film, In this photo provided by entertainer Jeffrey Damnit, actor Shia LaBeouf is taken into police custody in New Orleans on Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2026, after allegedly hitting multiple people outside a bar. (Jeffrey Damnit via AP) In this photo provided by entertainer Jeffrey Damnit, actor Shia LaBeouf is taken into police custody in New Orleans on Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2026, after allegedly hitting multiple people outside a bar. (Jeffrey Damnit via AP) In this photo provided by entertainer Jeffrey Damnit, actor Shia LaBeouf is taken into police custody in New Orleans on Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2026, after allegedly hitting multiple people outside a bar. (Jeffrey Damnit via AP)

Shia LaBeouf Arrest

The New Orleans police report obtained by The Associated Press via a public records request states that LaBeouf, 39, "became irate and aggressive throughout the night" and struck multiple people with a closed fist at the Royal Street Inn & R Bar, near the historic French Quarter.

Jeffrey Damnit, a well-known local entertainer who police identified as Jeffrey Klein in the incident report, said he was one of the people attacked by LaBeouf.

"He hit me, he connected a few times with punches, he pushed me a few times," Damnit said.

LaBeouf "just got nuts" trying to start fights and telling the entertainer and others that he would beat them up, Damnit said. He added that LaBeouf had pushed him from behind at the bar earlier in the night, shouting homophobic slurs and threatening his life.

Damnit was wearing eye makeup and lipstick and said he believes his appearance motivated LaBeouf's attack.

"That's just somehow something that set him off, angered him and gave him a direction for his anger," Damnit said. "This guy wants me to be dead because I wear makeup. It's a screwed up thing."

A video shows a shirtless LaBeouf shoving one person to the ground and hitting another person in the face, "causing his nose to possibly dislocate," according to the police report.

Damnit and others subdued LaBeouf and tried to get him to leave the area, but he would not leave and became more aggressive, according to Damnit and the police report.

Police arrived at the bar around 12:45 a.m. on the morning of the city's famousFat Tuesdayrevelry.

Another video recorded by Damnit and shared with the AP shows LaBeouf looking at the camera and appearing to mouth a homophobic slur while police detained him. He continued to repeat the slur throughout the arrest, the police report stated.

"These f–––––s put me in jail," LaBeouf said, and then told police he's Catholic, according to the report.

"I didn't shove nobody, I never touched nobody," LaBeouf tells New Orleans police officers in the video recorded by Damnit.

Representatives from LaBeouf did not immediately respond to request for comment. In the early morning hours of Feb. 18, LaBeouf wrote "Free me" on his X account.

Advertisement

A New Orleans magistrate judge ordered LaBeouf to be released from custody on Tuesday without a bond requirement, according to Orleans Parish Sheriff's Office spokesperson Gary Scheets. LaBeouf faces two counts of simple battery.

Videos later show LaBeouf dancing throughout the French Quarter and appears to show him waving his jail release papers.

Damnit, a member of the Screen Actors Guild–American Federation of Television and Radio Artists, says he is worried that he will face ramifications in his professional career for pressing charges against LaBeouf.

This isn't the first time LaBeouf has faced legal troubles. He was sent to court-ordered rehabilitation after being arrested in New York in 2017 for public drunkenness and disorderly conduct, which was captured on livestream video.

While on location in Georgia filming "The Peanut Butter Falcon," later that year, he wasarrestedfor public drunkenness and accused of disorderly conduct and obstruction andsentenced to probation.

In 2020, he was charged withmisdemeanor battery and petty theftin Los Angeles.

That year, the English singer and actorFKA Twigs, whose legal name is Tahliah Barnett, also fileda lawsuitalleging LaBeouf was physically and emotionally abusive to her during their relationship, which theysettled in July.

Barnett said LaBeouf put her in a constant state of fear and humiliation, once slammed her into a car, tried to strangle her and knowingly gave her a sexually transmitted disease.

LaBeouf apologized in a statement after the lawsuit was filed. He also denied the accusations in the lawsuit in a 2021 filing, saying any injuries done or damages incurred by Barnett were not his doing.

The 39-year-old first gained acclaim as a child for his role on the Disney Channel series "Even Stevens," and continued working steadily into adulthood. He is perhaps best known for his roles in 2007′s "Transformers" and in 2008′s "Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull."

LaBeouf shares a daughter, born in 2022, with actor Mia Goth.

AP Film Writer Lindsey Bahr and AP Writer Juan A. Lozano contributed to this report.

Brook is a corps member for The Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative.Report for Americais a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on undercovered issues.

Shia LaBeouf used homophobic slurs while assaulting New Orleans bar patrons, police say

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Actor Shia LaBeouf faces battery charges and is accused of repeatedly using homophobic slurs whilehit...
Catherine O'Hara Did This Sweet Thing For

The Studio's costume designer, Kameron Lennox, reveals that Catherine O'Hara paid for the crew members' restaurant bill while in Las Vegas

People Catherine O'Hara and Seth Rogen in 'The Studio' Apple TV+

NEED TO KNOW

  • "She really understood everybody's role and was just a very kind-hearted person," Lennox told PEOPLE at the 28th Costume Designers Guild Awards on Thursday, Feb. 12

  • O'Hara died on Friday, Jan. 30, at the age of 71

The Studio's costume designer, Kameron Lennox, is recalling a sweet momentCatherine O'Harashared with the show's crew when filming in Las Vegas.

Speaking exclusively with PEOPLE at the 28th Costume Designers Guild Awards in Los Angeles on Thursday, Feb. 12, Lennox shared her favorite memory of working withthe late actress.

"We had a lot of great memories, but the one that I've been telling a lot lately is when we were shooting in Vegas last year, we were shooting for two weeks, living inside a casino, filming inside of a casino," Lennox said. "Nobody left the casino. It was like 110 degrees outside. And so we would all kind of find each other at different restaurants."

"A group of us went to dinner one night, and she was at another table with other crew members having dinner. And then she saw us, spotted us, came over, said hello, and then they left. And then when we went to go get the bill, she had paid our bill," she continued.

Seth Rogen, Chase Sui Wonders, Catherine O'Hara, Ike Barinholtz and Kathryn Hahn at the world premiere for 'The Studio' in Austin, Texas Eric Charbonneau/Apple TV+ via Getty

Eric Charbonneau/Apple TV+ via Getty

Never miss a story — sign up forPEOPLE's free daily newsletterto stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer​​, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

Lennox, who received the award for Excellence in Contemporary Television at the ceremony, noted that the simple gesture was "very sneaky, sweet."

She continued, "I'm like, 'You're so sneaky and sweet.' But just that gesture alone, it's like she really understood everybody's role and was just a very kind-hearted person."

Advertisement

Catherine O'Hara at the premiere of 'The Studio' at the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures in Los Angeles in March 2025 Emma McIntyre/GA/The Hollywood Reporter via Getty

Emma McIntyre/GA/The Hollywood Reporter via Getty

O'Hara starred as Patty Leigh, a former studio head at the fictional Continental Pictures who was replaced by her protégé,Seth Rogen's Matt Remick, on the hit Apple TV comedyThe Studio.

The legendary comedian, known for roles inBeetlejuice,Home AloneandSchitt's Creek, died on Friday, Jan. 30, at the age of 71. The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed thatO'Hara died after suffering from a pulmonary embolism, according to a death certificate obtained by PEOPLE. Rectal cancer was listed as the underlying cause of embolism.

Lennox said filming season two ofThe Studiohas been bittersweet after O'Hara's death. "Coming back for [the] second season, everything just felt like, 'Oh, we're home again.' But this, especially, it's been hard on everybody. Yeah. It's been a rough go at it."

Following her death, Rogenpenned an emotional tributeto O'Hara and posted a candid moment of O'Hara giggling behind his back on Instagram. In his caption, the creator and director of the show expressed his sadness over the news.

"I told O'Hara when I first met her I thought she was the funniest person I'd ever had the pleasure of watching on screen," Rogen wrote. "Home Alonewas the movie that made me want to make movies."

He added, "Getting to work with her was a true honour. She was hysterical, kind, intuitive, generous… she made me want to make our show good enough to be worthy of her presence in it. This is just devastating. We're all lucky we got to live in a world with her in it."

Read the original article onPeople

Catherine O’Hara Did This Sweet Thing For “The Studio” Crew While Filming in Las Vegas (Exclusive)

The Studio 's costume designer, Kameron Lennox, reveals that Catherine O'Hara paid for the crew members' res...
Hornets guard LaMelo Ball is expected to play against the Rockets a day after being in a car crash

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Charlotte Hornets point guard LaMelo Ball is not listed on the team's injury report and is expected to play Thursday night against the Houston Rockets, one day after beinginvolved in a two-car crashin Charlotte.

Associated Press

The Hornets are one of the NBA's hottest teams having won 10 of their last 11 games and Ball is a big reason for that success.

Ball appeared to be driving through an intersection when his camouflage-colored, custom-made Hummer collided with another vehicle Wednesday, according tovideo obtained by WSOC-TVin Charlotte. The station later posted video of Ball, wearing anaqua-colored Hornets hoodie, getting out his truck and into another car before being driven away. Police were on the scene at the time.

A police report has not been made available.

There was no information available on the person in the other car involved in the collision, although video showed that driver calmly get out of his car and begin walking toward Ball's truck after the crash.

Video showed the left front tire of Ball's truck was missing.

Advertisement

Ball is just the latest professional sports athlete to be involved in a car crash in Charlotte.

Former Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newtonfractured his backin a 2014 crash in which he flipped his pickup truck near Bank of America Stadium — less than a mile from where Ball's crash occurred.

And in 2024, Panthers current backup quarterback Andy Daltoninjured his thumbwhen he was involved in a two-car crash in Charlotte.

Former Hornets guard Bobby Phills was killed in a car crash at age 30 following a practice on Jan. 12, 2000.

AP NBA:https://apnews.com/hub/NBA

Hornets guard LaMelo Ball is expected to play against the Rockets a day after being in a car crash

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Charlotte Hornets point guard LaMelo Ball is not listed on the team's injury report and is ex...
FIFA president: All 104 World Cup matches will be 'sold out'

FIFA president Gianni Infantino said all 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out" despite tickets available for the tournament running from June 11 to July 19.

Field Level Media

"The demand is there. Every match is sold out," Infantino told CNBC in an interview Wednesday from U.S. President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, Fla.

Infantino said there had been 508 million ticket requests in four weeks from more than 200 countries for about seven million available tickets.

"(We've) never see anything like that -- incredible," he said.

The 48-team World Cup is taking place across 16 host cities in the United States, Mexico and Canada, with MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., as the site of the World Cup final.

The head of the sport's governing body said that tournament locations contribute to what soccer supporters' associations have complained are exorbitant ticket prices.

"I think it is because it's in America, Canada and Mexico," he said. "Everybody wants to be part of something special."

Also affecting prices are resale websites, which take the official ticket that has a fixed price and use "dynamic pricing" leading to the cost to fluctuate.

Advertisement

"You are able as well to resell your tickets on official platforms, secondary markets, so the prices as well will go up," Infantino said. "That's part of the market we are in."

A report in the Straits Times said that a Category 3 seat -- the highest section in the stadium -- for Mexico's match against South Africa in the tournament opener on June 11 in Mexico City was listed at $5,324 in the secondary market. The original price was $895.

The same seat category for the World Cup final on July 19, originally priced at $3,450, was advertised for $143,750 on Feb. 11, per the report.

In December, FIFA designated "supporter entry tier" tickets with a $60 price to be allocated to the national federations whose teams are playing. Those federations are expected to make those tickets available "to loyal fans who are closely connected to their national teams," FIFA said in a press release.

The last time the U.S. served as a World Cup host in 1994, tickets ranged from $25 to $475. At the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, prices ranged from $70 to $1,600 after the matches were announced.

Infantino in his comments this week estimated that the 2026 World Cup will raise $11 billion in revenue for FIFA, with "every dollar" to be reinvested in the sport in the 211 member countries.

He said the economic impact for the United States would be around $30 billion "in terms of tourism, catering, security investments and so on." Infantino also estimated the tournament will attract 20 million to 30 million tourists and create 185,000 full-time jobs.

--Field Level Media

FIFA president: All 104 World Cup matches will be 'sold out'

FIFA president Gianni Infantino said all 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out" despite tick...
O's INF Jordan Westburg physically 'unable to participate'

Baltimore Orioles infielder Jordan Westburg was not on the field with the team for a spring training workout on Thursday, and manager Craig Albernaz doesn't know when his status will change.

Field Level Media

"He's unable to participate right now," the first-year manager said Thursday. "Getting evaluated by our medical team and also outside people. See what's going on with Jordan and get him ready to go."

Westburg, 27, felt his oblique tighten on the right side early in spring training. Albernaz did not specifically point to the muscle injury as the reason for his absence and wouldn't say if he had a different injury.

Orioles president of baseball operations Mike Elias said earlier this month that Westburg's oblique injury dates to January.

The Baltimore Banner reported Thursday, however, that Westburg had imaging done on his elbow.

Advertisement

"Just physically unable to go," Albernaz said. "We want to make sure we do our due diligence. Make sure Jordan has the best chance to play this year."

Injuries have been a hindrance in Westburg's three seasons in Baltimore, which drafted him 30th overall in 2020 out of Mississippi State.

He played 85 games last season and required injured list stints due to a left hamstring injury and a sprained ankle. He also missed parts of 2025 spring training with back tightness. He played 107 games in 2024 and was named an All-Star, but also missed seven weeks with a fractured hand.

In 260 career games, Westburg has a .264 batting average with 38 home runs and 127 RBIs.

--Field Level Media

O's INF Jordan Westburg physically 'unable to participate'

Baltimore Orioles infielder Jordan Westburg was not on the field with the team for a spring training workout on Thur...

 

AB JRNL © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com