Brazil legend Neymar admits he is contemplating retirement

Brazilian superstar Neymar has admitted he is considering retirement at the end of 2026.

USA TODAY Sports

In an interview with Brazilian online channel Caze, Neymar discussed how he is "living year to year," considering ending his illustrious career after an "important" season for both club and country.

"I don't know what will happen from now on, I don't know about next year," the 34-year-old said.

"It may be that when December comes, I'll want to retire. I'm living year to year now.

"We will see what my heart decides. It depends on what my heart says later in the year.

"This year is a very important year, not only for Santos, but also for the Brazilian national team, as it's a World Cup year, and for me too. I wanted to play this season totally 100 percent."

Advertisement

Returning to his boyhood club Santos in 2025, Neymar risked his career to help the team avoid relegation from Brazil's Serie A.

Despite requiring surgery on his left knee, the Brazilian played a crucial role down the stretch, providing five goals and an assist in the final four league matches.

Neymar has played in three World Cups with Brazil, but hasn't featured for the national team since October 2023.

Often criticized for his antics on and off the pitch, Neymar established a brilliant club career, starring for the likes of Santos, FC Barcelona and PSG. Meanwhile, the 34-year-old is Brazil's all-time leading scorer with 79 goals, a mark previously held by legend Pelé (77).

Neymar has a contract with Santos through the end of 2026.

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY:Brazil legend Neymar admits he may retire in 2026

Brazil legend Neymar admits he is contemplating retirement

Brazilian superstar Neymar has admitted he is considering retirement at the end of 2026. In an interview wit...
Giants legend Eli Manning isn't losing sleep over Hall of Fame snub

Eli Manning's career speaks for itself, whether enshrined or not.

USA TODAY Sports

It's that last part that sparks debate and outrage, even if the formerNew York Giants'star quarterback appears unbothered. Fans, analysts, people around the league and many more have opinions that land on both sides of the issue, but it was thePro Football Hall of Fame voters who kept Manning off the list for a second year in a row.

Emotions run high when it comes to that topic, but don't expect Manning to give a passionate sales pitch anytime soon. During a Feb. 17 interview with Jon Gruden on "Gruden Goes Long," Manning was asked about the snub and his feelings about it.

"It doesn't keep me up at night," Manning said. "I'm not going to be bitter at it. I'm not bitter at the game of football. I loved my teammates. I love the relationships, the friendships, the championships, the parades. When I think about football, I think about touchdowns and my buddies and wins and plane rides home.

"I don't think about the interceptions. I don't think about the bad stuff. I think about the positive things."

The quarterback also isn't concerned about timing or how many ballots it might take for him to get into the exclusive club based in Canton, Ohio.

Advertisement

"If I ever get in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, I'll take it as a positive," Manning said. "And I'm not going to think about the years I had to wait to get in."

Of course, Manning wasn't the only prominent football coach, player or contributor left off the list. Former New England Patriots coach and eight-time Super Bowl champion,Bill Belichick, also fell short of being enshrined in 2026. Manning famously defeated Belichick's Patriots twice in the Super Bowl.

Despite being a two-time MVP in the big game, Manning didn't match that level of dominance in the regular season. He posted a 117-117 record in 16 seasons, making just four Pro Bowl appearances. The No. 1 overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft, Manning's Hall of Fame case largely rests on those two games in Super Bowl 42 and 46.

Vote counts are not released by the Hall of Fame, meaning it's unclear how much support theGiants' legend had in the committee.

Manning will now have to hope that the third time is the charm in 2027.

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY:Eli Manning says he isn't bitter about Hall of Fame snub in 2026

Giants legend Eli Manning isn't losing sleep over Hall of Fame snub

Eli Manning's career speaks for itself, whether enshrined or not. It's that last part th...
Clippers coach Tyronn Lue says team is 'playing to win,' following up on Kawhi Leonard remarks

The Los Angeles Clippers have 26 games remaining on their regular-season schedule, in addition to two possible postseason games if they qualify for the NBA play-in tournament. Contrary to Kawhi Leonard's belief thatthe team is not a contenderto advance in the playoffs, head coach Tyronn Lue says the team will try to keep winning.

Yahoo Sports

At 27-29 followingFriday night's lossto the Los Angeles Lakers, the Clippers currently hold the ninth spot inthe Western Conference standings, just a half-game ahead of the Portland Trail Blazers.

"Man, we're playing to win," Lue told reporters afterwards, includingESPN's Dave McMenamin. "I don't care if it's young, old, toddlers... Whoever's on the floor, we're trying to win. I mean, we're trying to win. There's no other reason to play."

Lue's remarks appeared to be a response to Leonard saying earlier in the day that the Clippers'status as contenders was finished.

"I think it's over now," he said. "It's, the second half, like a fourth of the season left. But every day is a day to grow. A day to learn and get better. So just got to keep looking over time and see in two weeks if we're getting better and see what happens from there."

Leonard's outlook follows the Clipperssending James Harden to the Cleveland CavaliersandIvica Zubac to the Indiana Pacersbefore the NBA trade deadline. The team received Darius Garland, Bennedict Mathurin, Isaiah Jackson, two first-round picks and two second-rounders in those deals. But those aren't the kinds of trades a playoff contender makes in hopes of boosting championship chances.

Advertisement

Additionally, the Clippers benched veteran point guard Chris Paul before sending him home and eventually traded him to the Toronto Raptors. Paul, 40, was subsequently released by the Raptors andannounced his retirement. He signed a one-year deal before the season, presumably tobe a veteran leaderbut reportedly clashed with Lue.

Lue acknowledged that the Clippers team Leonard originally signed with in 2019 is much different now.

"I thought he was just saying far as contender when he first got here, you have PG [Paul George], Kawhi, you have James, you have Russ [Russell Westbrook], you have Zu,"Lue told ESPN. "And so now, having a younger team, we got to play different. We got to do things different, we got to do things better."

The Clippers being in the play-in mix with a chance to make the playoffs as the eventual No. 8 seed is the result of an impressive turnaround. The team began the season as one of the league's biggest disappointments, compiling a 6-21 record. Yet a 21-8 run in December put a .500 record and postseason berth within reach.

Up next for the Clippers is a matchup with the Orlando Magic (29-25) on Sunday, followed by a Thursday contest versus the Minnesota Timberwolves (35-22).

Clippers coach Tyronn Lue says team is 'playing to win,' following up on Kawhi Leonard remarks

The Los Angeles Clippers have 26 games remaining on their regular-season schedule, in addition to two possible postseaso...
Injured Canada captain Sidney Crosby's status uncertain for the Olympic gold medal game

MILAN (AP) — Canada has not decided whether injured captain Sidney Crosby will play inthe gold medal gameat the Olympicsagainst the U.S.on Sunday, coach Jon Cooper said Saturday.

Associated Press Canada's Connor McDavid wears the team captain's letter C on his jersey in place of the injured Sidney Crosby during the second period of a men's ice hockey semifinal game against Finland at the 2026 Winter Olympics in Milan, Italy, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster) Canada's Sidney Crosby (87) is led away from the ice after being injured during the second period of a men's ice hockey quarterfinal game between Canada and Czechia at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026. (AP Photo/Hassan Ammar) Canada's Sidney Crosby (87) is attended to after being injured during the second period of a men's ice hockey quarterfinal game between Canada and Czechia at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026. (AP Photo/Hassan Ammar)

Milan Cortina Olympics Ice Hockey

Crosby skated in practice, which was closed to reporters to maintain ashroud of secrecyaround the status of the 38-year-old center who is the most decorated player on the team with two Olympic gold medals and three Stanley Cup rings and was a key contributor before getting hurt.

"Obviously we'd love to have him," Cooper said. "He won't put himself in harm's way, and he's not going to put the team in harm's way."

Crosby leftthe quarterfinal game Wednesday night against Czechia with an apparent right knee injury and did not playagainst Finlandon Friday night in the semifinals.Connor McDavid wore the "C"in Crosby's absence and assisted on Nathan MacKinnon's go-ahead goal with 35.2 seconds remaining.

International rules allow teams to dress 13 forwards instead of the 12 permitted in the NHL, but Cooper cast doubt on the possibility of Crosby being in uniform just to fill a limited role.

"No. No, it's too important," Cooper said. "We don't want to have somebody in there as an inspiration when we could have a player that could be capable of helping. You never know if guys are going to get hurt in the game. He wouldn't want to do that, either."

Cooper pointed to two of his players with the Tampa Bay Lightning, Brayden Point and Anthony Cirelli, who were chosen for the roster but stayed home because they were not healthy enough to be a bigger help than their replacements. Injured defenseman Josh Morrissey has been ruled out.

Advertisement

"When it comes to the flag, nobody's getting in the way," Cooper said. "If they're not capable of giving what they think is optimal effort, they don't want to put the country at harm. They understand what we have here."

Canada rallied from a two-goal deficit to beat Finland, motivated in part by giving Crosby a chance to play one more game at what could be his final Olympics.

"We've done that, and we'll see," McDavid said. "He's been around a lot. Obviously, he's been extremely positive: still contributing, even though he didn't play last game, but still being the leader he is."

Nick Suzuki, who moved into the spot playing between Mitch Marner and Mark Stone, figures to be there again in the final if Crosby is unavailable. Suzuki said Crosby "looked really good out there on the ice" and hopes the well-respected captain will be good enough to go.

"It'd mean a lot to him and probably us," Suzuki said. "He's such a big leader, big voice. Everyone looks up to him. It'd be awesome if he could play."

AP Winter Olympics:https://apnews.com/hub/milan-cortina-2026-winter-olympics

Injured Canada captain Sidney Crosby's status uncertain for the Olympic gold medal game

MILAN (AP) — Canada has not decided whether injured captain Sidney Crosby will play inthe gold medal gameat the Olympics...
Lewis Hamilton on F1 future: 'I'm not going anywhere'

Seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton feels "reset and refreshed" entering the 2026 Formula 1 season.

Field Level Media

"I'm not going anywhere, so stick with me," the 41-year-old British driver posted Saturday on Instagram.

Hamilton is coming off a disappointing debut season with Ferrari, failing to reach a single podium in 2025.

The 105-time race winner sounded upbeat as testing concluded this week at Bahrain.

"That's a wrap on testing," he posted. "It's inspiring to watch a team pull out all the stops to build a car.

"It's the most fascinating part of this job for me. Everything is built from scratch and designed and redesigned over and over. And then there are only a few of us who get to put that machine to the test. That feeling never gets old.

"I want to say a huge thank you to everyone in the team back at the factory for the hard work to get to this point!! I am truly grateful.

Advertisement

"I love this job so much and I love working with my team and driving for the fans. I'm incredibly lucky to be able to do what I do, and I'm excited for the season ahead."

Hamilton's 20th F1 campaign begins with the Australian Grand Prix on March 7.

He concluded his post with a promise to his supporters that this season will be different.

"For a moment, I forgot who I was, but thanks to you and your support you're not going to see that mindset again," he wrote.

"I know what needs to be done. This is going to be one hell of a season. I've given everything to be here today. Let's go team!!!"

Hamilton's last victory was the Belgian Grand Prix on July 28, 2024. His last world championship came in 2020.

--Field Level Media

Lewis Hamilton on F1 future: 'I'm not going anywhere'

Seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton feels "reset and refreshed" entering the 2026 Formula 1 season. ...

 

AB JRNL © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com